Thursday, August 12, 2010


Well, it's been a while since I've written anything. That's because I refuse to write if I have nothing to say and I haven't had a thing to say for a while. That doesn't mean I haven't been...hum...thinking about things...and experimenting. Mostly it's been a struggle for I don't know how long. I've been stuck in the muck. As summer winds down I'm beginning to see something new going on.

As I've written before, if the day ended at 5pm I'd have no trouble living on the perfect diet of smoothies, and salads, and cereals. But come dinner time and after dinner and, well, I'm still waiting for the answer. The idea that if we just eat nourishing foods we will not want to eat the junk stuff any more is not true. At least it's not true for me. I want heavy crappy food by the time the sun starts to set.

Which brings me to where I have something to say. No, I don't have all the answers yet. But I'm beginning to get some clues.

My modest success starts with awareness and continues with planning. Just being aware that from 5pm on is when things get dicey helps. As we say in counseling...awareness itself is healing. I'm aware that I tend to make stupid eating decisions later in the day. Which leads me to the second thing happening. I plan for it. I have not found the answers yet to perfect night eating, but progress is being made. For one thing, I keep the poisons out of the house now. No junk food, no salty food, no fatty food. (I've only had ice cream sandwiches at my dad's all summer long. No Ben and Jerry's, no Cold Stone!)

I'm not satisfied that I've found the ideal foods to eat for supper, but they are better than the typical meals I was eating. Reading books by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and Dr. Max Gerson is giving me some reasonable alternatives, such as steaming potatoes. I have a feeling that the answer is going to be something simple like being happy with a salad and a tasty raw desert like my daughter Gina is famous for. Now that I think of it, a salad and her strawberry parfait...what's better than that for dinner?

To be continued...

1 comment:

teresa said...

Like you, I try and eat a mostly raw/organic diet (about 80%). The other 20% is cooked healthy (whole foods), sweet potatoes, seafood, etc. I'm not vegan, but eat virtually no red meat, mostly seafood; I avoid dairy altogether.

However... lately I'm starting to think that it's not the "raw" part of the diet that's helping me lose weight and feel better, but rather the lack of processed foods.

I agree that dinner is tough (especially if you have a family, like me!). However, if you ate a 'conventional' but healthy dinner and stuck to a 100% raw diet for breakfast and lunch, you'd probably reap the rewards and satisfy your cravings.

Do you ever think that your body is trying to tell you something thru your cravings? I almost wonder if we as humans have sadly evolved and adapted to a point where our bodies actually 'need' something in that horrible standard diet. I hope not, but just a thought.

To get thru the dinner cravings, try drinking a large smoothie in the late afternoon. My favorite (100% raw & organic): large leaf of kale, large handful spinach, some fresh cilantro, 1 avocado, 1 banana, 1 raw free-range egg (if you're not vegan), a cup or two of frozen blueberries, some fresh young coconut meat & juice if you have it, and then (this is the necessary ingredient that makes it SO good) fresh-pressed pineapple juice (you can buy jars of it at Whole Foods). It is SO good and filling, you'll need less for dinner! It makes any combination of greens in your blender taste awesome!

Then you can have a small conventional dinner and satisfy your cravings.

Last night, my family made traditional spaghetti. It smelled really good cooking! I decided to fill my plate with raw spinach, put a small amount of cooked spaghetti and sauce on top, and then smothered it in chopped raw cherry tomatoes. Looked so good my kids asked for theirs the same way! It was awesome.

Just incorporate some traditional stuff into your raw routine for dinner, and it will help erase your cravings. 100% raw/organic for breakfast and lunch, 20% conventional mixed with raw/organic for dinner.