Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reasonably Raw In Viet Nam

If you are going to be away from home in a foreign land and want to eat raw, then Viet Nam is the place to be. After a five mile run and the beach and a quick swim I make a fruit smoothie with the travel blender that I've brought with me. I thought my smoothies back home were good. Pineapple, freshly squeezed orange juice, and the water and meat of a young coconut. Out of this world!

Later in the morning I've have bananas, a mango, and maybe watermelon. Yesterday I had my second durian. This one was much better than the first. I can't say it was delicious, but I might get to like it. It is filling and heavy, kind of like a custard or pudding. I don't know how to describe how it tastes, a little bit of vanilla, some sweetness, I give up.

Then it's off to the market for more fruit and lettuce. In the afternoon it's a big salad. With my blender I am able to make my favorite dressing with garlic, tahini, oil, vinegar, lemon juice.

Okay, dinner is not raw, but it's not bad either. Mostly rice and vegetables, or rice noodles and vegetables. It could be worse. It sure is better than the burgers and fries I often end up eating in other places.

Last night Hoa, my Vietnamese friend, treated me to a couple of fruits I had never eaten or seen before, they were excellent. I'll buy more of those today and find out what they are called.

No comments: