Sunday, September 21, 2008

Successes and Struggles

I thought by now I'd have it a lot easier. I thought I'd be able to be raw more than I am, but it is so difficult getting from 80 or 90 percent raw to 100 percent. This is where I am at. I have a green smoothie for breakfast at mid-morning (mostly berries and greens). I have a superfood green smoothie for lunch (bananas, cacao, etc.). I have a big salad around 4 or 5 o'clock. This is the success part. I love it, I feel great. Very easy to do. But...after that it is mostly cooked foods.

The thing is, I'm not all that hungry. It feels more like habit or worse...addiction. Often I will have several pieces of whole wheat bread to satisfy my cravings. Or I will make whole wheat pasta. It gets worse if I have to go out to dinner. I need to make the effort to find something else to eat at night.

My biggest problem is what to have that is satisfying. The enjoyable recipes in all the raw food books are complicated and require too many ingredients and take too much time. The easy dishes are not that appealing. Maybe I'm being lazy. I know I am. I need to make another effort to get to the next level. I know I need to take that next step because I don't feel good about the cooked foods. I need to improve on that last 10 percent of my diet. There must be a better way and I am determined to find it!


1 comment:

Rosemary said...

I just thought I would share with you some of the things I do to keep myself near 100% raw. I shop for nuts and seeds every two weeks and when I bring them home I then soak them and let them sprout a few days. This is very little work as all you have to do is rinse them twice a day. I use a large colander and they are put in 1 gallon paint strainer bags ($1.65 ea.) so that dealing with a large volume is not a problem. I then put them in my 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator and dry them for at least 24 hours. They then go in the freezer. These are waiting for me when I am ready to whip up different dishes for dinners. I eat green smoothies and a large salad for lunch. Sometimes I eat fruit with living nut butter I make in the HS blender.
I make Peanut Thai sauce for a diakon noodle dish I love and I use the same sauce sometimes for salad dressing. I also make an orange tahini dressing also. When I make sauces and dressing they last for about 5 days in the fridge so a pint will carry about 3 meals for me. I also eat things like Walnut tacos (walnuts are soaked, rinsed, spiced and frozen in batches for the meat) and Heirloom tomato basil tarts. They sound fancy but are easy so I do use these different dishes to mix it up so I don’t get bored.
Sprouting and drying the nuts and seeds (almond, peanut, and sunflower seeds) before use and having them frozen has helped me to make eating this way more practical. Freezing them also is good because I am very careful to not “cook” things in my blender so it keeps the temp down when I am dry grinding the nuts and seeds before adding the liquids. I started doing this after I was raw for 5 months and could scrape the money together to buy a Blendtek. Before that I was eating this boring nut and seed pate on veggies and believe me, that got pretty old. Dressings and sauces only take a few minutes to make in a HS blender and taste better than anything that SAD eaters are eating.
Anyway, this may not be of any use to your because of your lifestyle but I just encourage you to seek and find your way.